August 26, 2016
Minnesota State Fair 2016
Every year, my trek to the Great Minnesota Get-Together is both the same. And, absolutely different than years past. But, always, consistently, fun and memorable.
I always go to Day One of the Fair in Saint Paul with my “fair husband” Steve. We are particularly compatible as a fair couple because we like the same things, yes, but are also open to the choices of the other person. Plus, we share the food.
Iron Range Meat & Potatoes
So without further ado (because I know you are dying to find out) here is what we ate at the Fair:
- Iron Range Meat & Potatoes
- Pronto Pup®
- Honey Sunflower Ice Cream, Honey Lemonade, Honey Lemon Sorbet (can you tell I am a big fan of the honey wing of the Horticulture Building)
- waffle fries
- birch beer
- vanilla milkshake (only 2 spoonfuls; too creamy. Me, I like icey shakes)
- blue cheese & corn fritz
- candied bacon donut sliders
- cup of coffee, flight of dark beer, Clown Shoes chocolate porter, lots of water
- roasted corn
- cinnamon banana dark chocolate Jonny Pop.
For more pictures and narrative, I invite you to check me out on Instagram @nyproducer
August 24, 2016
Quickie post to say that I am in serious training for the Great Minnesota Get-Together. Yes, you can count on coming back here in just a little over 24 hours – to get the full list of what I and my “fair-husband” will have eaten, shared, and delighted over.
Time was (just look back at lists past) – that I could barely get all the items consumed on one page. Now, really — who has the stomach to eat that much. Ha!
In training means: not too much eating beforehand. Taking good care of myself. Making room. And studying the list of the new foods.
This is at the top of my list: Candied Bacon Donut Slider! It IS a donut hole – so don’t go judgin’. I’ll report back!
AIN’T LIFE GRAND!!!
Oh – late addition: how did I miss this one?
Candied Bacon BLT (sensing a theme here!) I’ll let the fair description take it from here:
Crispy, thick candied bacon, rancher’s slaw and green tomato spread on a sweet egg bun.
August 27, 2010
As promised: here’s the list of what I ate at this year’s fair. Every year is slightly different: I have some favorites. And, of course, have to try out new items. This year: the deep-fried bologna on a stick. Here goes.
- honey ice cream with sunflower seeds (twice)
- wine ice cream: ruby raspberry and apple cinnamon
- deep-fried bologna on a stick
- grilled corn on the cob, hold the butter
- Pronto Pup® (you may know it as a corn dog)
- sausage sampler: swedish, tuscan, wild rice
- vanilla milk shake
- small taste of chocolate malted milkshake
- what they called a “tornado potato”: spiral fries dipped in chocolate
- Pig Lickers: bacon dipped in dark chocolate
- sweet potato “tater tots”
- 10 bottles of 20 oz. water
- Korean chicken taco
- key lime pie on a stick
You know, I think that’s it. If something else comes to mind, I’ll add it. Doesn’t look so bad. Hahahahaha. Certainly not up to the standards of the 2005 fair.
August 26, 2010
UPDATE: I have to laugh. Looking at my post from the 2010 Minnesota State Fair – I realized that the picture is very similar to the one below – from the 2009 OREGON State Fair: involving the same basic food item: Bacon. Anyway — I experimented with posting a blog from a remote location, in this case – obviously – the MN Fairgrounds – and it seemed to work.
A little post from the fair. I’ve embraced the fun of knowing that part of the joy of weight loss is that a day of indulgence ain’t gonna hurt. I mean, what would a day at the fair be without Pig Lickers: crisp bacon dipped in dark chocolate. Spent an hour with a man who creates wooden bowls you can drink ale from. Ain’t life grand!!
Sorry, gotta run. Hear there are sweet potato “tater tots” over down the way.
December 31, 2009
There is this thing we dieters do in the evening, or even the days, before we start our DIET. We eat that last supper of everything we’re convinced we are not going to eat, or do not think we will be able to eat while on the diet. (Read more on my thoughts about being ON a diet in entry called To All A Goodnight).